Re: multiple link

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 00:58:06 EST

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:43:22 CDT, Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if it's possible to link to multiple directories at the
> same time:
>
> link <link_name> <target1> <target2> <target3>...

Not really a kernel question, but anyhow..

'man 2 link' and 'man 2 symlink' will tell you that the system calls only make
one link at a time. What /bin/ln does is a userspace question, but Kerhnigan
and Pike would likely say the Right Answer is:

% for i in target1 target2 target3; do ln link-name $i; done

If you're asking something else, such as "How do I hardlink a directory to more
than one parent?", that *is* a kernel question, but the generic answer is "You
don't, unless you have a novel way to identify the Right Answer for 'where does
../ point?'". Check the archives, it was beaten to death a few weeks ago....