Re: [BUG?] SIS IDE DMA errors

From: Lionel Bouton
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 06:18:59 EST

Vojtech Pavlik said the following on 09/26/2003 07:53 PM:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 07:27:35PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> writes:

Actually, it's me who wrote the 961 and 963 support. It works fine for
most people. Did you check you cabling?

I'm dealing with a laptop, but I suppose I could wiggle the cables a
bit. I still doubt it's a cable problem, since reading works
flawlessly.

Hmm, that's indeed interesting and it'd point to a driver problem -
when reading, the drive is dictating the timing, but when writing, it's
the controllers turn.

So if the controller timing is not correctly programmed, reads function,
but writes don't.

Can you send me the output of 'lspci -vvxxx' of the IDE device?
I'll take a look to see if it looks correct.

It appears to me that during heavy IO load, some DMA interrupts get
lost, for some reason.

Well, I've got this feeling that not just IDE interrupts get lost under
heavy IO load with recent kernels ...

This could explain some odd reports. Amongst the usual causes like flaky hardware, kernel misconfiguration and the likes, I encountered some people for which IO-APIC support would throw their data away...

Now I always ask the users to recompile without IO-APIC, this usually brings other problems (awful ethernet perfs for one user comes to my mind) but tends to solve IDE instability.

Until today, I've not a single report where lspci -vxxx highlighted any IDE register misconfiguration, AFAICS your code *is* correct Vojtech.

LB.

--
Lionel Bouton - inet6
o Siege social: 51, rue de Verdun - 92158 Suresnes