Re: Linksys WRT54G: Part 2

From: root
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 08:07:50 EST

> On Sunday 28 September 2003 18:14, Andrew Miklas wrote:
>
> > Previously, it was thought that the WRT54G source releases had only
> > neglected to include the source code for the various kernel modules
> > used to run the ethernet and wireless interfaces. However, at this
<snip>
> Query: should this kind of thing have its own mailing list? There are a
> number of organizations that might want to pool their resources on these
> issues (off the top of my head, OSI, Linux International, and OSDL spring to

I (along with quite a few others I suspect) read linux-kernel for
(amongst other things) interesting things about linux.
Announcements of ports to new machines seem to be entirely on-topic,
even if it's by a third party that found linux in their toaster.
I don't see a functional difference between "I intend to port linux to my
toaster, can people help", and "I want to get source for the linux running
on my toaster, can people help".

I have purchased a WRT54G on the basis that it (through the efforts of
the seattlewireless group and many others) contains a running linux
enviroment that can be customised to an extent that lets me do lots of
things that would otherwise be impossible without a much more expensive
device.

I intend to write to linksys and inform them of this, along with the
saying that I'll buy more if I can get full enough source to compile
kernels and make firmware.