Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] disallow modular IPv6

From: Olivier Galibert
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 07:07:47 EST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:08:55AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:39:33 +0100
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 99% or more of tristate options can be enabled without affecting the
> > kernel, and it is expected that such options can be set to 'm' later,
> > while the kernel in question is actually running, then built and loaded
> > without a reboot.
>
> Expected by whom? Not by me.

By me for instance. I'm used to modules having no influence until
loaded, even at compilation time. I'm used to in-tree and out-of-tree
modules to have exactly the same status (ignoring the binary-only
modules crap).

> > We should strive to keep this true.
>
> For things _OUTSIDE_ the kernel, surely. But inside the kernel
> tree I don't see any value in this new restriction.
>
> > Allow this kernel to ever support IPv6? Y/N
> > Build IPv6 support? Y/M/N
>
> And I still think this is a complete joke.

I suspect what you _really_ want is a "disable ipv6 entirely"
depending on CONFIG_EMBEDDED which would remove the then bloat.
Normal users would never see it and the meaning would be obvious for
the ones who care.

OG.