Re: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 07:43:17 EST

On Tue, Sep 30 2003, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:21:37 +0200
> Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I will tell you to talk to the glibc folks, because that's where your
> > problem is.
>
> I think it's totally unreasonable to expect the glibc folks
> to suck in every single new weird API that ends up in the kernel.
>
> Part of this is our job.

We agree 100% here, have you read any of my emails in this thread?! I'm
not trying to place blame, it's a joint effort for sure.

> But until we have that bit solved, it's irresonsible of us to tell
> users to go scream at the glibc people. Rather, we should fix the
> (really, honestly, incredibly minor) things that prevent these kernel
> header files from working for users.

Talk to glibc folks: point out the inconsistency. Maybe he'll be a good
boy and provide a patch, who knows. That's doesn't imply screaming.

And yes, I'm not on a mission to make sure that kernel headers
absolutely don't work from user space. And I'm even sure that had Joerg
provided a patch in his original email, it might even have been included
in the kernel. The attitude surely doesn't help either.

--
Jens Axboe