Re: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 08:14:41 EST

>From root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Sep 30 14:21:07 2003

>Reply is not on the list.

I added the list because this is another problem that need fixiong inside the
kernel.

>Also Joerg, now that I have your attention: There is a bug
>somewhere so that if I set the kernel HZ to 400, recompile
>everything including `cdrecord`, I can no longer record a CD.
>I think that somewhere, somebody is using a raw jiffie-count
>instead of multiplying by HZ in the time-out code. I've check
>through all the SCSI stuff, and I use SCSI disks exclusively.
>I think something in your code needs fixing. This is for kernel
>version 2.4.22

Cdrecord and pther programs too includes <sys/param.h>

If you change HZ in the kernel include files and recompile your problems
suffer from the same sort of inconsistencies that have been the reason for
my initial mail.

If Linux likes to support changes to HZ, then it needs to support POSIX
interfaces. On Solaris, sys/param.h looks this way:

#define HZ ((clock_t)_sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK))

You may even change HZ on a running Solaris system.... the only programs that
are affected may be the ones that have timeouts while the change has been done.

The problem is that the timeouts in the SCSI interface are based on HZ rather
than being abstract from kernel internals.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1