Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] disallow modular IPv6

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 10:00:16 EST

Em Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:37:29PM +0200, Adrian Bunk escreveu:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:11:29PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:32:30 -0300
> > Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Humm, and the idea is? This seems confusing, could you elaborate on why such
> > > scheme is a good thing?
> >
> > I think the idea is totally broken. At first, Adrian comments that
> > changing the layout of structs based upon a config option is broken,
> > then he proposes a config option that does nothing except change the
> > layout of structures.
> >
> > The current situation is perfectly fine.
>
> I did perhaps express my opinion not clearly.
>
> My personal opinions:
>
> It's OK that setting an option to y changes structs or whatever else in
> the kernel.
>
> It's not OK if adding a module changes the layout of structs compiled
> into the kernel.
>
> Modules have many advantages, one advantage is e.g. that they allow
> generic distribution kernels without resulting in huge kernel images.
>
> Another advantage is that you can later add modules to a running kernel,
> you can compile a module for your kernel and insert it without rebooting
> the machine. This is currently not possible with moduler IPv6.
>
> That was my personal opinion.
>
> My opinions seem to be very close to the opinions of David Woodhouse, so
> there's no need to repeat your discussion.

And just for the record, as a matter of taste I'd like to see all #ifdefs in
structs to disappear, look at what I did to struct sock in 2.5 and look at
struct sock (include/net/sock.h) in 2.4: no #ifdefs where there was a ton,
what I disagree is to make IPV6 not to be built as a module, that would harm
generic kernels, what I said was that this has to be fixed properly, this
requires time and we are too late in 2.6 for such bigger changes, as this is
not just #ifdefs in structs, it is #ifdefs in the IPV4 code, etc.

Lets revisit this in 2.7.

- Arnaldo

For the record: I did an audit in 99% of the headers in the linux source tree,
#ifdefs in structs are mostly just for: CONFIG_PROCFS, DEBUG, NETFILTER and
IPV6, and just a few.