Re: your mail

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 11:36:39 EST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:50:08PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> > Basically, if you're building a
> > distro boot kernel, you must turn on all known workarounds. That's
> > certainly lowest-common-denominator, but it's a far cry from the
> > configuration that a 386-as-firewall user wants.
>
> Ok, I see what you're getting at, but Adrian's patch turned arch/i386/Kconfig
> and arch/i386/Makefile into guacamole. After spending so much time
> getting that crap into something maintainable, it seemed a huge step
> backwards to litter it with dozens of ifdefs and duplication.
> There has to be a cleaner way of pleasing everyone.

Referring to the latest patch I sent:

arch/i386/Kconfig:
The only problems seem to be some CPU_ONLY_* derived symbols I haven't
yet found a better solution for.

arch/i386/Makefile:
There are two ifdefs to deal with Pentium 4 and K7/K8 selected at the
same time:
ifdef CONFIG_CPU_PENTIUM4
cpuflags-$(CONFIG_CPU_K{7,8}) := ...
else
cpuflags-$(CONFIG_CPU_K{7,8}) := ...
endif

That's perhaps not optimal but IMHO not that bad.

The dozens of ifdefs were in other areas where I tried to add some
additional space optimizations. It was a mistake to put them into the
same patch and in the latest patches I sent they were already separated
and they are _not_ required for the CPU selection scheme.

> Dave

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.