Re: 2.6.0-test6 scheduling(?) oddness

From: Murray J. Root
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 00:19:14 EST

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:04:15PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> >"Murray J. Root" <murrayr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>The render finishes in the same 30 minutes, then oowriter starts.
> >>oowriter takes about 3 seconds to load if no rendering is going on.
> >>

> >OpenOffice uses sched_yield() in strange ways which causes it to
> >get hopelessly starved on 2.6 kernels. I think RH have a fixed version,
> >but I don't know if that has propagated into the upstream yet.
> >

> OK. Aside from the OpenOffice issue, you still have povray taking 50%
> longer to complete, which is quite remarkable if its single threaded and
> nothing else is running. Maybe its not the scheduler change? Anyway,
> Con will want to know exactly which version of his scheduler you used in
> test5 to check for possibilities.

patch-test5-O20int

Not sure what caused the increase from 2.6.0-test5 to 2.6.0-test6.
One noticeable thing - I get a noticeable speed increase if I turn off
rendering to the screen, so that it only goes to a file. I don't get
that speed improvement in 2.5.65 - only in 2.6.0-test5 and 2.6.0-test6
test5 goes from 20 mins to about 15 mins (the same speed as 2.5.65 with
or without screen rendering)
test6 goes from 30 mins to 24 mins - still worse than test5 by a lot.

--
Murray J. Root