Re: chstk - URL?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 11:30:33 EST

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Catalin BOIE wrote:

> I use kernel 2.6.0-test6-mm1 with ecec-shield and X gives me sig 11.

for security reasons it's not possible to disable exec-shield for setuid
root processes (such as X). So the solution either to upgrade X to have
the fix or to switch off exec-shield when you start up X, and switch on
exec-shield afterwards. A bit painful the later method ...

(alternatively you can also disable the setuid-root protection in the
kernel, remove the two 'current->personality = PER_LINUX' lines from
fs/exec.c and recompile the kernel.)

> A program must be compiled with new gcc to work with exec-shield and
> without chstk?

no. The X segmenation fault is because the X module loader malloc()s
buffers for code and expects them to be executable. Those buffers were
non-executable on other architectures already, so the fix is really simple
- a oneliner #ifdef or so.

Ingo