Re: Serial ATA on Dell Dimension 8300 (Was: Re: Serial ATA supportin 2.4.22)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 16:58:08 EST

Erik Steffl wrote:
Martin List-Petersen wrote:

I've got trouble with both 2.4.22-ac1, ac4 and 2.4.22-bk25 + newest sata
patch. (Debian Sid)

When i try to boot ac1 or ac4 from harddisk. The kernel would fail by
endless stating:
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-0000, errno = 8
on screen.

Do i boot the same kernel from floppy or cd (syslinux/isolinux - dmesg for ac4 attached, bootet from cd) it boots without trouble, mounts the harddisk etc.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8300 (practically the same as the Precision 360), with Intel 875 chipset (ICH5 SATA controllers).
In bk25+sata patch reiserfs seems to be broken (dmesg attached), i will try an older version tomorrow.

I simply can't figure out, whats wrong here.

I have intel D865PERL mb (close but not same as you have, I think they have the same sata controller), I used the 2.4.21-ac4 kernel, with SCSI_ATA enabled (otherwise system freezes right after it detects HDs). I also had to use libata5 patches from Jeff Garzik to be able to use drive >137GB (not sure whether libata5 are in one of the more recent kernels or ac patches).

Basically I need to get off my butt and send Alan and Bero some updates...

Latest patches against mainline (2.4.22-bkXX and 2.6.0-testX-bkXX) are always posted at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/ and the latest Fedora Core (what used to be Red Hat Linux) supports it out of the box as well.

It does take a bit of potentially non-trivial hand merging to patch successfully into -ac tree... :(

Jeff