Re: Can't X be elemenated?

From: Jesse Pollard
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 09:32:11 EST

On Thursday 02 October 2003 13:18, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:57:42AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > kartikey bhatt wrote:
> > >hey everyone who have joined this thread, my fundamental question have
> > > got out of scope. I mean to say
> > >
> > >1. Kernel level support for graphics device drivers.
> > >2. On top of that, one can develop complete lightweight GUI.
> > >3. Maybe kernel can provide support for event handling.
> > >
> > >and I still stick to my opinion that graphics card is a computer
> > > resource that needs to be managed by OS rather than 3rd party
> > > developers.
> >
> > The card is managed by the os - X has to ask the kernel nicely to get it.
> > (Try starting another X server inside an xterm and see how
> > that is refused.)
>
> X :2 (not refused ...)

Thats because X asked nicely, and was given another vertual terminal, and
started server #2... By default it attempts to start 0; and that is refused.

Specifying a different server number will permit it to be run, if there are
available VTs.

You should be able to run at least 7, if they don't have login prompts on
them.