Re: P4C800E-Dlx: ICH5/S-ATA and Intel Pro onboard network incompatibility ?

From: Erik Andersen
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 02:07:07 EST

On Sun Oct 05, 2003 at 08:25:49PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Erik Andersen wrote:
> >When I have the Bios set to compatible mode everything works --
> >except for the obvious problem that I have to put my SATA drive
> >onto my promise SATA card (since the ICH5 SATA is disabled).
> >
> >When I have the Bios set to Enhanced mode (so the ICH5 provides
> >both SATA and PATA) then my system will wedge solid as a rock.
> >
> >It turns out it was locking up while loading up the ide-scsi
> >kernel module. I have
> >
> > options ide-cd ignore='hdc'
>

> So, things work in Enchanced mode if ide-scsi module is not loaded?

After a bit more testing.... loading either ide-scsi or
ide-cd is sufficient to lock my system dead dead dead if
the bios is set to Enhanced mode.

After _not_ loading ide-scsi or ide-cd I was able to boot in
Enhanced mode. I think I am getting some sortof wierd interrupt
storm. Everything freezes for a few second every so often...
Here is what I am seeing.

$ uptime
00:51:41 up 25 min, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.07
$ cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0 CPU1
0: 152450 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 5334 0 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 4 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
12: 36125 0 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
16: 105720 0 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci, usb-uhci, radeon@PCI:1:0:0
17: 0 0 IO-APIC-level Intel ICH5
18: 175250680 2019 IO-APIC-level ide0, ide1, libata, usb-uhci
19: 0 0 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci
22: 90380 0 IO-APIC-level SysKonnect SK-98xx, bttv
23: 0 0 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd
NMI: 0 0
LOC: 156771 156777
ERR: 0
MIS: 2019

I have a P4 with hyperthreading so my kernel is SMP. The huge
number of interrupts on 18 (I'm not doing very much beyong ssh to
another box to write this email) looks suspicious to me.

> And, drivers/ide is picking up your PATA devices as expected?

yes.

> As a tangent, I wonder if the latest cdrecord works in 2.4 with
> 'dev=/dev/hdc' ... that would elimiante the need for ide-scsi.

I'll check...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/