Re: FDC motor left on

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 10:51:00 EST

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > This is not a problem to deal with in the kernel - what if there is
> > hardware other than a floppy controller at that address?
>
> In the ix86 architecture (and it is in arch-specific code), there
> cannot be anything at this address except a floppy or nothing.
> In both cases, you are covered.

Huh? The floppies use ordinary I/O ports at the ISA bus, not the range
reserved for motherboard devices as, until quite recently, FDCs used to
exist solely as add-on cards (I still have one). Any other ISA device is
free to use the port range if it's unused by anything else (e.g. no FDC
there). Ditto for IRQ6 -- older cards used to have an option to use this
line, only newer ones often do not have it anymore, for unknown reason
(i.e. the cost is probably one).