Re: Patch to add support for SGI's IOC4 chipset

From: Jeremy Higdon
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 03:31:32 EST

Hello Bartlomiej,

I have a few questions. I'm going to be submitting the rest
of the patches that Aniket was working on, as he started at a new
company today (he was attempting to finish the submission before he
left). Please forgive a lack of expertise on my part.

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 07:30:15PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> > + return p - buffer;
> > +}
> >
> > >Do you really need /proc/ide/sgiioc4?
> > >You can print revision number during init.
> >
> > It has been helpful to be able to see the firmware revision num anytime
> > during system operation.
> > So the new patch still creates the above entry.
>
> I don't buy this, lspci can be used :-).

lspci gives the version number.
/proc/ide/sgiioc4 gives you:

SGI IOC4 Chipset rev 79.
Chipset has 1 IDE channel and supports 2 devices on that channel.
Chipset supports DMA in MultiMode-2 data transfer protocol.

Is the # of IDE channels/devices and the DMA mode also available elsewhere?

> > + int ddir);
> > +static unsigned int __init pci_init_sgiioc4(struct pci_dev
> > *dev,ide_pci_device_t *d);
> >
> > >Most of this declarations are not needed as sgiioc4.h is only included
> > > from shiioc4.c.
> >
> > The sgiioc4.h file has been removed in the new patch.
>
> sgiioc4.h was removed, but declarations weren't.
> You can shuffle code around to get rid of them.

How important is this to you? It seems more a style issue. I agree with
you, by the way. When I write code, I try to minimize forward declarations.
If I can get rid of some easily, will that be good enough?

> There are no .enablebits on SGI IOC4? Please add a comment about it.

What are they used for (i.e. what are you looking for in the comment)?

> sgiioc4_init_one():
> + pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_CLASS_REVISION, &class_rev);
> + class_rev &= 0xff;
>
> Access to PCI devices before pci_enable_device()
> (it is called later in pci_init_sgiioc4).

Is pci_enable_device required before a config space access?

I will make changes in accordance with the other comments and based on
your responses to this.

Thanks

jeremy