Re: Can't X be elemenated?

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 07:53:50 EST

Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> writes:

> Well, I'm pretty glad there's only one glibc, and only one http
> protocol, and only one X protocol. And it would be way better if there
> was just one toolkit commonly used on Linux.

There are a few problems with the common toolkits. Both Qt and GTK
are huge bloated things that tend to take over the entire application.
You have to do everything centered around the GUI toolkit. If neither
one fits the model of your application, it is sometimes easier to roll
your own toolkit. Actually, that was how GTK started its life.

The other toolkits are either non-free, immensely ugly, or both.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxx