Re: devfs vs. udev

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 11:07:38 EST

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:26:07 +0000, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I just hope udev can give a look/feel similar to devfs as I have quite a
> few machines already in production configured for devfs and really like
> the manageablility.

I wonder: do you use the /dev/disc/* links, or the /dev/ide/... and
/dev/scsi/... constructs? I'm not sure how udev will be able to
support both layouts.

Also: do you prefer a devs compatible layout, or maybe use the change
for a cleanup? a short list of obscurities: /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 but
/dev/printers/0 and /dev/tts/0 and /dev/floppy but /dev/discs etc. also
all floppy devices are in /dev/floopy, where each disc has is
/dev/discs/discN directory/symlink. I think it's a good opportunity
for a cleanup, but that wouldn't be compatible...

Regards, Andreas