Re: Linux 2.6 udev capability question

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 15:27:57 EST

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 02:57:31PM -0500, Jonathan A. George wrote:
> >Will do. Why did you not ask this there in the first place? Sending
> >email directly to developers isn't the nicest thing to do:
> > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/news/?newsitem=11
> >thanks,
> >
> >greg k-h
> >
> Thanks for your response.

As you sent this to me privately, I take it you didn't read the above
link?

> Is there an official udev web page or forum?

No, nothing is ever "official" :)

The linux-hotplug-devel mailing list has been a good place to discuss
udev stuff.

> As to why not use mailing list in the first place: A. Who wants to get
> flamed by Al in public. ;-) B. Giving consideration to the developer
> who might want to discuss the issue before exposing it to a public
> forum. I probably have sent about 50 emails to the LKML over the last
> eight years on topics from VMM to SCSI to SCM, but sometimes it seems
> better to directly address the relevant developer. Not everyone
> subscribes to the list after all. ;-)

But it saves developer time, which is in much shorter supply than "users
who don't read the documentation time" it seems...

greg k-h