Re: Who changed /proc/<pid>/ in 2.6.0-test5-bk9?

From: bert hubert
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 05:51:15 EST

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 05:54:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But the same isn't true of file descriptors or a lot of other software-
> level abstractions. There are no inherent advantages to sharing, and in
> fact sharing just gives more opportunity for race conditions, bad
> interaction etc.

I may be missing something, I'm all for the ability to have threads with
their own fd namespace, but will NPTL/Linux retain the capability to pass
fd's to other threads?

One thing I've used in tens of programs is:

void *session(void *p)
{
int fd=(int)p;
}

for(;;) {
fd=accept();
pthread_create_thread(session,(void*)fd);
}

I'd like to continue to have that ability.

Thanks.

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO