Re: a login question

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 08:44:51 EST

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:36:43 +0800, "Bill J.Xu" <xujz@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> how to conceal the hostname information--abc? that is the welcome messenge as
following:

1) This is off-topic for a *kernel* list.

2) This is bogus security - they telnet'ed to the machine, they already *know*
its name/IP address. You should leave the hostname in so legitimate users can
verify they've gotten to the *right* machine (what, you've never had a server farm
with dozens/hundreds of machines and typed 'telnet foo23' when you meant
'telnet foo24'?)

3) You should be using SSH instead.

4) /usr/sbin/telnetd invokes /bin/login which calls pam. The hostname gets
printed after telnetd does /etc/issue. Since I think it's a bad idea, that's
all the hints I'm giving today. The answer can be found in the telnet, util-linux,
and/or PAM src.rpm's. If you're going to mess with this, you should learn how
it works, and reading the source is a good way to do that...