Re: devfs and udev

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 17:35:59 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0310071354580.19220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
By author: David Lang <david.lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> the namespace was different becouse Linus demanded that it be different,
> origionally it had a mode where it would generate all the same names (and
> another mode that generated sun style names) one of the requirements
> before it was put in was to change it to the existing devfs-only names.
>
> blame devfs for a lot of things (bugs, etc) but not the names.

Actually, this is bullshit. If you go back and look what Linus
actually said, it was:

- One namespace only. If you're going to a new namespace, then that's
going to be it. You're not going to put two namespaces in the
kernel.

- If you're going hierarcial, do it right, not the Sun-like halfassed
thing.

-hpa
--
<hpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> at work, <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.