Re: 2.7 thoughts

From: Gábor Lénárt
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 08:52:57 EST

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 03:17:05PM +0200, Frederick, Fabian wrote:
> * bind mount support for all general mount options (nodev,ro,noexec etc)
> with SECURE implementation with any (maybe even future) filesystems?
>
> * union mount (possible with option to declare on what fs a new file
> should be created: on fixed ones, random algorithm, on fs with the
> largest free space available etc ...)
> <LVM ?

Dunno about LVM, I've not plaied a lot with it ...

> * guaranteed i/o bandwidth allocation?
> * netfilter's ability to do tricks which OpenBSD can do now with its
> packet filter
>
> * ENBD support in official kernel with enterprise-class 'through the
> network' volume management
> < NFS ?

NFS is a filesystem. However I meant filesystem independent access, ie
raw device access through the network and creating any filesystem on it.
NBD can do this, ENBD is even better, but I think it can be further developed
sure, and at least AFAIK ENBD is not inside the official kernel. Or maybe
it is? :)

> * more and more tunable kernel parameters to be able to have some user
> space program which can 'tune' the system for the current load,usage,etc
> of the server ("selftune")
> <What parameters would you add in procfs ?

In general :) Maybe this is not the question of the kernel nowdays, but that
userspace program. I mean now we can hear news about chaning scheduler
behaviour on-the-fly and other interesing stuffs. I meant these class of
parameters for example. Like the case of the OOM killer and others I know
that implementing a quite complex algorithm inside the kernel is not a good
point, probably. That's why I thought that this kind of on-line "selftuning"
can be possible with a user space process, the only need is to provide
enough statistical parameters and tuning possibilites by the kernel, so the
tuner can do its job. However I don't know that this theory is useful for
reality it was only a wild idea (but sounds good IMHO :)

> * Virtual machine support
> <Maybe more 3.0 relevant ?

:)

--