kernel 2.6.0betaX: ich5 sata enhanced mode hangs during init

From: Howard Duck
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 16:07:50 EST

Hi

I have a Mainboard with a intel 865PE chipset. I tested many kernels to get
my
Serial-ATA (sata) disk to work in enhanced mode and so far only one kernel
works - 2.5.74. I need the enhanced mode because I lose all secondary ide
ports if i switch to legacy/compatible mode in the mainboards bios (which
disables some of my drives).

Since the first beta of kernel 2.6.0 i had no luck in successfully booting
the
machine unless i switched to SATA legacy mode. All 2.6.0beta-kernels make it

to the init sequence and detect the sata disk, but the system hangs at
random
postions during init (starting devfsd, mounting swap or setting the machines

hostname, well - somewhere during startup).

I tried removing swap from /etc/fstab and disabling some init-scripts but it

doesn't help. Booting in "single" mode does not work too. The only thing
that
works is using legacy sata support, so i guess it is related to some new
code for
handling serial ata controllers/disks (the machine boots off a sata disk) in
the
2.6.0beta kernels. 2.5.74 boots and works w/o problems, but i'd feel better
if i
run a kernel marked "stable" ;)

Is there something i can do to trace the problem of the hang during boot,
maybe
some special kernel options, new user-space tools,...? Is this maybe related
SMP support or hyperthreading cpus?

I am open for any hints or test-procedures that may help to fix or find the
problem.
thanks in advance
Michael Kefeder

p.s.: i'm not subscribed to the lkml, please put me on CC when answering