statfs() / statvfs() syscall ballsup...

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 17:17:53 EST

Hi,

We appear to have a problem with the new statfs interface
in 2.6.0...

The problem is that as far as userland is concerned, 'struct statfs'
reports f_blocks, f_bfree,... in units of the "optimal transfer size":
f_bsize (backwards compatibility).

OTOH 'struct statvfs' reports the same values in units of the fragment
size (the blocksize of the underlying filesyste): f_frsize. (says
Single User Spec v2)

Both are apparently supposed to syscall down via sys_statfs()...

Question: how we're supposed to reconcile the two cases for something
like NFS, where these 2 values are supposed to differ?

Note that f_bsize is usually larger than f_frsize, hence conversions
from the former to the latter are subject to rounding errors...

Cheers,
Trond