Re: 2.7 thoughts

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 02:39:17 EST

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 04:30:27PM +0900, YoshiyaETO wrote:
> "Hotplug node" is a better explanation, I think.
> "Node" includes CPUs and/or Memory and/or some kind of IOs.
> And "Node" should be flexibly configurable also.

I don't see any reason to connect it with the notion of a node.

The main points of contention would appear to be cooperative vs.
forcible (where I believe cooperative is acknowledged as the only
feasible problem), and the potential connections with ZONE_HIGHMEM
wrt. constraints that would artificially introduce to 64-bit kernels.

The fact some systems would want to do whole nodes at a time with
some cpus and io buses in tandem is largely immaterial and doesn't
simplify, complicate, or otherwise affect the VM mechanics.

-- wli