Re: 2.6.0-test7 BLK_DEV_FD dependence on ISA breakage

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 06:57:10 EST

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Arun Sharma writes:
> > Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > Perhaps we should just back it out and watch more closely next time someone
> > > tries to fix it?
> >
> > I'm fine with backing out the Kconfig part of the patch. Perhaps this is one of those things where an explicit list of platforms which do support this feature is unavoidable ?
>
> The Kconfig patch also broke floppy on x86-64. Since no x86-64 board
> to date has any ISA _slots_, x86-64 doesn't even give you the option
> of enabling CONFIG_ISA...

I'm not happy with the `CONFIG_ISA means ISA slots' logic, neither. For e.g.
PC-style floppy, it means `we have a (possibly burried withing PCI) ISA-style
bus'.

Furthermore, on some m68k machines we do have an ISA-style bus, but without
ISA-style DMA. This causes more drivers to fail compilation, giving me
headaches when trying to compile an all-yes-config kernel for m68k. I guess
other architectures are faced with the same problems.

Well, I guess I have to try the new drivers/Kconfig first and elaborate with a
list of drivers that failed and why they failed...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds