Reproducable time problem with SMARTD & XNTPD

From: Nohez
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 07:03:13 EST

We have a Intel 875WP1-E motherboard with 2 onboard SATA ports.
In addition to the two 80GB SATA disks attached to these ports we
have three 160GB IDE HDD and one 300GB IDE HDD attached to 2 Promise
controllers (PDC20269). The server has xntpd configured on it to sync
time from remote timeserver. It has been running without any problems
for more than 2 months.

Last week we installed SMARTD on this box. SMARTD was configured to
monitor the 6 HDDs. The time on the server started to go out of sync
with the remote time server. And the difference increases over time.
As soon as smartd daemon was shut XNTPD started to get the server time in
sync slowly. We tried this 2-3 times and have noticed the same results.

Has anyone faced a similar problem ?

Nohez

Linux Distro: SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional
Kernel : k_smp-2.4.21-108 (SMP because of Hyper-threading)
XNTPD : xntp-4.1.1-177
SMARTD : smartmontools-5.1.4-20