Re: 2.7 thoughts: common well-architected object model

From: asdfd esadd
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 12:15:25 EST

unfortunately it's rather a jump into elegance. The
other OS component model is quite well architected.
Hence what's needed is _a similar architecture effort
which may _abstract many things in the beginning to be
filled in later. Ther's a dire need for a sound and
similarly elegant (or better) model.

There can still be many e.g. widget libraries for GUIs
but if new ones were to build on a common model (or
wrapped) Linux would kill Windows through the by now
larger base of contributors. If that apparent lack of
architecture guidance continues we get another dozen
class libraries for everything for each application
nicely exposing it which then nobody learns/uses. With
a common object model Linux can push the envelope,
without it it's leaving it to others.