Re: Job Announcements (was Linux TCP/IP Stack Developer)

From: Stephen Satchell
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 15:27:57 EST

At 10:58 AM 10/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:

By spamming job opennings to our kernel development lists where such
things are not considered allowed, you fucknuts are basically
guarenteeing that no kernel programmer with a brain is going to
respect your company enough to apply for these jobs.

Please stop posting this crap now.

Are you speaking for yourself, or for Red Hat as well?

Just for grins, I took a look at http://www.redhat.com/about/careers/ to see what your company was offering for work. Hey, no TCP/IP Stack programming jobs there. In fact, very little in the way of work for back-room types at all in the United States, nothing west of the Rockies, and only Australia seems to have anything when you get outside of the CONUS.

There are some people desperate enough to receive money for their efforts that such job announcements may well be welcome, at least as long as they are real positions. Obviously you are not that hungry. I'm working right now in a system admin position, changing the oil and wiping the windshield of 200 Red Hat Linux servers, in a position that does not allow for any kernel development at all. What makes you believe that all 30,000+ readers of LKML would not welcome short, tasteful, single-shot announcements of such development positions? Particularly if the announcement was for work within moving distance of where a reader lives?

(I suspect the poor guy was inundated with resumes, good taste or no. That's what seems to happen when a company makes any kind of public announcement for work in California or Nevada. Sometimes principles give way to other necessities.)

As an aside, I'm not happy with the few Linux-specific job boards that are out there. Has Red Hat considered hosting one that works, and advertising its existence?

--
"Fragmentation is like classful addressing -- an interesting early architectural error that shows how much experimentation was going on while IP was being designed." -- Paul Vixie