Re: Job Announcements (was Linux TCP/IP Stack Developer)

From: Stephen Satchell
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 17:19:19 EST

At 11:29 PM 10/11/2003 +0200, you wrote:
So the only way to prevent this from happening, is to forbid them to do it,
even if some people may miss one good opportunity. There are sites for this,
even newsgroups, so it clearly doesn't have its place here. I'm sure David
also has a lot of other reasons for this, but I sincerely think that the ones
I exposed here are already good justifications by themselves

Willy, I agree with almost every word. I remember what happened to UseNet and some of the early mailing lists when they became over-run with commercial and self-serving messages (did someone say "kibo"?) and I don't envy David his job.

Bald prohibitions are easy and nasty. Prohibitions with a steer in the right direction are just as easy, and comes across as more of a service to everyone. How much better it would have been for David to have said something with a positive twist: "Don't do it here, do it at linux-jobs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" or some such. (Assuming such a list exists -- and if there isn't such a list is it time to start one?)

As for sites and newsgroups, though, I have to take exception to your observation. I have yet to find one that attracts both potential employers and potential employees and keeps its listings current. The closest I have found to an active job list for Linux is Craig's List; sites such as www.hotlinuxjobs.com are not very up-to-date in the offerings -- every time I had tried to follow up on a listing from October 2002 to April 2003 I was told "that job's already filled." The general-purpose jobs sites (Hot Jobs, Dice, America's Job Bank, and others) have some Linux jobs but usually as part of a package of jobs, not in isolation.

I'd appreciate specifics on good sites for Linux people, both from the perspective of an employer and a job seeker.

Satch

--
"People who seem to have had a new idea have often just stopped having an old idea." -- Dr. Edwin H. Land