Where does user_path_walk() live?

From: kevin conaway
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 15:26:58 EST

I am a student doing an independent study on
filesystem security and I was trying to pin down
exactly where a users permissions are checked when
trying to access a particular file. Looking through
the various system calls in /usr/src/linux/fs/open.c
tells me that each call that requires a permission
check calls user_path_walk() to essentially "walk"
through the parts of the path to make sure the sure
has access to each part. I attempted to find the code
for user_path_walk() but all I could find was a
#define statement that showed user_path_walk was
really a macro for __user_walk(). All I could find
were symbol references for __user_walk() in the kernel
tree. Does anyone know where this code lives?

Thanks

Kevin Conaway