Re: ReiserFS causing kernel panic?

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 00:29:42 EST

Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:

Hans Reiser wrote:

reiserfs is not warranted to work on corrupted hdds.....

Is there any kind of error statistics for hard drives?

Geometry is known.
I suspect that structure of damages, caused by contact of plates surface with head, can be classified.

It may be possible to classify manufacturing glitches. I think HD producers have this kind of classification/statistics - to improve quality, keeping price low.

Actually what I'm thinking of: some kind of design rules for file systems, how to minimize crashing due to hdd glitches.
Let's say, if some of hdd regions are know to be more error prone - desing fs to use those regions less.
If hdd damages used to have some specific structure - design file system to keep renundant data in regions which are less likely to be lost both at the same time. So renundancy would make sense.

Is there any thing like this?

Or file systems now do outlive hard drives?-)

Block allocation policies affect performance a lot, and keeping them simple is important. I would however be interested in knowing what the distribution function for errors by geometry is. If it turned out that, say, errors were higher at the platter edges, I could make some format changes....

I think that for users it is best to think about how to mask drive errors in the device layer or the device using RAID and mirroring.

--
Hans