Re: ReiserFS patch for updating ctimes of renamed files

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 03:47:00 EST

Alex, are you convinced by jw? (I think I am.) Would you be willing to submit a patch for tar instead?

Hans

jw schultz wrote:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:49:20AM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:

In theory it is cleaner and purer to do it the way we did. In practice,

Alex's problem seems like a real one, and I don't know how hard it is to change tar to do the right thing. We'll discuss it in a small seminar today.

Updating ctime does seem messy and a bit irrelevant for the
atomic rename. You are modifying the directories not the
fricken file. This isn't DOS! But it would seem he does
indeed have an issue although i'm not sure what. I've never
used the listed-incremental option of tar and since the
manpage is incomplete <rant deleted> i don't know what it
actually does. However, i have found the use of ctime to be
terribly unreliable for file management and given what the
standards have to say on the issue it sounds like tar is
being abused or has a bug.

--
Hans