Re: ReiserFS patch for updating ctimes of renamed files

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 05:21:59 EST

Hans Reiser <reiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In theory it is cleaner and purer to do it the way we did. In practice,
> Alex's problem seems like a real one, and I don't know how hard it is to
> change tar to do the right thing. We'll discuss it in a small seminar
> today.

It would be best to make this change. minix, ext2 and ext3 do set ctime,
so it is "the Linux standard".

btw, this code:

old_dir->i_ctime = old_dir->i_mtime = CURRENT_TIME;
new_dir->i_ctime = new_dir->i_mtime = CURRENT_TIME;
old_inode->i_ctime = CURRENT_TIME;

should avoid evaluating CURRENT_TIME three times: is has some computational
cost and if an interrupt happens at the wrong time you end up with
differing times in the inode(s).