Re: [despammed] Re: vfat corruption in 2.6.0?

From: Ludovico Gardenghi
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 13:12:56 EST

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:18:02AM +0900, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

> > He has a quite big vfat partition (60 GB) created with mkfs.vfat; he
> > ran a program that had to write ~5000 files summing up to 18 GB but
> Can I get your program or how can I make it reproduce? Any hint?

It's quite simple: given a program than echoes a list of lines like

EVENT:xxxxx:something:somethingelse:somethingelsemore

with xxxxx a number (you can think this as a random number between 00000
and 05000)

I wrote a bash shell script that contains something like

./myprogram | grep ^EVENT | while read; do
echo "$REPLY" >> "clientdata-${REPLY:6:5}"
done

That's all.

It continues up to ~6GB and 5000 different files then starts reading
the files back and so on. The problem *should* happen in the writing
phase.

> If it happen next time, please send the dmesg and .config.

Ok. I'll also ask him if he has a copy somewhere else, I think he sends
syslog messages to a remote machine too.

Ludovico
--
<dunadan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> #acheronte (irc.freenode.net) ICQ: 64483080
GPG ID: 07F89BB8 Jabber: garden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx