Re: SiI 3112 SATA problem with nForce2

From: Thomas Horsten
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 16:16:47 EST

On Monday 13 October 2003 22:04, zipa24@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use SiI 3112 SATA controller (as in Asus A7N8X
> board) with Maxtor discs?
>
> I'm using it with Maxtor 6Y160M0 and recent kernel (mostly 2.6.0-test5-mm4
> but I did try 2.6.0-test7, too) but I have problem if I torture with high
> I/O load the whole computer hangs. Sometimes it is as little has running
> "hdparm -t" on the disc but once I copied >50GB from /dev/zero to it
> without problems.

I'm using these devices and it works for me (using my Medley RAID driver). However, sometimes the system seems to hang for a while and then comes back, but it is quite rare.

I think you're waiting for Andre's DMA fix that he was going to have reviewed by SiI today, and promised out ASAP :)

In the mean time, hdparm -X 66 might help.

Regards,

Thomas

th@fireball p $ cat /proc/ide/hde/model
Maxtor 6Y080P0