Re: 2.6.0-test7 and HIDBP

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 22:59:10 EST

Norman Diamond wrote:
| Or maybe there are bugs in both of these front-ends. I finally thought of
| looking at two .config files in text editors, one produced by make xconfig
| and one produced by make gconfig. Both are for kernel 2.6.0-test7 though
| the machines and original distros are different.

Hi Norman,

I just tested make menuconfig/xconfig/gconfig and got the same results
from all 3 of them.

| In the .config generated by make xconfig, the following lines exist:
|
| #
| # USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
| #
| CONFIG_USB_HID=m
| CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
| # CONFIG_HID_FF is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set
|
| #
| # USB HID Boot Protocol drivers
| #
| # CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
| [...]

USB_KBD and USB_MOUSE show up here (above) because USB_HID=m.
Somehow it got changed to USB_HID=y in the config file below,
and that changes the rules for some of the items under it.

| OK, aside from making me wonder what HIDDEV refers to and why it isn't set,
| and making it rather non-obvious which drivers are HID Boot Protocol and
| which aren't, the settings look pretty reasonable to me.
|
| In the .config generated by make gconfig, the following lines exist:
|
| #
| # USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
| #
| CONFIG_USB_HID=y
| CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
| # CONFIG_HID_FF is not set
| CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
| # CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
| [...]
|
| With this file in a text editor, searching for string USB_KBD results in the
| string not being found.

I think that Roman Zippel already replied to this, but you won't
find USB_KBD there because USB_HID=y and they are mutually
exclusive.

In summary, I checked again and still don't see a problem.

--
~Randy