Re: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 05:12:06 EST

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:57:42PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> >Of course, I left my drive that indicated it had problems (i.e. it
> >didn't spot the sector going bad before it became unreadable), in the
> >machine for another two days. It's getting replaced ASAP (i.e. the
> >next hour or so).

> replacing the drive is reasonable caution. I think though that the
> other poster is right that IFF you want to remap bad blocks, the drive
> should do it not reiserfs.

It is a "pretty much for free" feature. In your in-kernel
implementation you hopefully already have the ability to skip blocks
in use by other files. So allocating it to a special file will take
care of the kernel part. Next you need one line in your fsck to
prevent that "dangling inode" getting linked into lost+found. Then you
do need a utility to actually be able to mark blocks as bad.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****