Re: Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 08:25:12 EST

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> There are literally thousands of schools, all over the world, which
> simply cannot afford any money on computers. The "HW is cheap" slogan is
> very cruel when recited in places where 64 MB of RAM are one month's
> salary. I am not kidding.

I am very happy to see that there is a project to take
care of the needs of people with older hardware.

If you ever need help on the kernel side, let me know.

I know a lot of friends in various countries who simply
don't have the money to buy a new computer. Granted, 64MB
isn't anywhere near a monthly salary for most of them,
but after paying their bills they still don't have enough
money left to buy a new computer (and if they had, they
should buy something else with it ... there really isn't
a good excuse on why software is getting this much more
bloated).