Re: Transparent compression in the FS

From: tconnors+linuxkernel1066292516
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 03:28:34 EST

Erik Mouw <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said on Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:33:05 +0200:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:30:50PM -0400, Josh Litherland wrote:
> > Are there any filesystems which implement the transparent compression
> > attribute ? (chattr +c)
>
> The NTFS driver supports compressed files. Because it doesn't have
> proper write support, I don't think it will do anything useful with
> chattr +c.
>
> Nowadays disks are so incredibly cheap, that transparent compression
> support is not realy worth it anymore (IMHO).

Why is it that everyone thinks things aren't necessarily done anymore?
This is the reason why we end up with *bloat* these days - people keep
on thinking it is the norm for everyone to have a computer that is
less than 3 years old.

For those of us who like not to waste, or those unfortunate not to
have a few hundred dollars spare, the statement that "disk is cheap"
(or CPU, or RAM) is a bit of an insult.

Hell, my 486 router can't even have more than the 8Megs of RAM it
already has added, due to bios/MB limitations.

Similarly, those of us with 17TB of RAID, but wanting to create 30TB
of data (on a university budget), also find compression fairly useful.
As it is, I have to write ugly hacks to get my fortran programs to be
able to make use of a pipe to gzip - my data is sufficiently redundant
that I get a good factor of 10 saving.

 *** System shutdown message from root ***
System going down in 60 seconds