Re: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 10:11:00 EST

Eli Billauer wrote:
My argument, possibly better formulated, asks the following questions:

(1) How much good will the existence of an standard /dev/frandom device do? Is it going to be used?
(2) How much space will it take up in the kernel tarball?
(3) How much disk space will it take after compilation?
(4) How much compilation time will it take up?
(5) How much effort is it going to be to maintain it?
[...]
I actually agree that the kernel isn't "the right place" for a random generator. I simply think that having it there is useful, with a very low cost.

Add up 1000 low-cost items, and you can run a catalog store... but not a kernel.

None of those questions 1-5 make much bit of difference: The key question is "right place", and you just agreed w/ me the kernel isn't :)

Jeff