Re: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 11:32:09 EST

Andreas Dilger wrote:
Actually, there are several applications of low-cost RNG inside the kernel.

For Lustre we need a low-cost RNG for generating opaque 64-bit handles in
the kernel. The use of get_random_bytes() showed up near the top of
our profiles and we had to invent our own low-cost crappy PRNG instead (it's
good enough for the time being, but when we start working on real security
it won't be enough).

The tcp sequence numbers probably do not need to be crypto-secure (I could
of course be wrong on that ;-) and with GigE or 10GigE I imagine the number
of packets being sent would put a strain on the current random pool.

We don't need "low cost RNG" and "high cost RNG" in the same kernel. That just begs a "reduce RNG cost" solution... I think security experts can easily come up with arguments as to why creating your own "low-cost crappy PRNG" isn't needed -- you either need crypto-secure, or you don't. If you don't, then you could just as easily create an ascending 64-bit number for your opaque filehandle, or use a hash value, or some other solution that doesn't require an additional PRNG in the kernel.

For VIA CPUs, life is easy. Use xstore insn and "You've got bytes!" :)

Jeff