Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FBDEV 2.6.0-test7 updates.

From: Carlo E. Prelz
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 05:05:03 EST

Subject: Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FBDEV 2.6.0-test7 updates.
Date: gio, ott 16, 2003 at 12:42:15 +0200

Quoting Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> You also have an rsync mirror of that tree at
> source.mivsta.com::linuxppc-2.5-benh

Ok. I got the code (it is mvista, not mivsta...). My card is
recognized without modifications:

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

bus pci: add driver radeonfb
radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 131072k videoram
radeonfb: Found Intel x86 BIOS ROM Image
radeonfb: Retreived PLL infos from BIOS
radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=200.00 Mhz, System=166.00 MHz
Starting monitor auto detection...
radeonfb: I2C (port 2) ... not found
radeonfb: I2C (port 4) ... not found
radeonfb: I2C (port 3) ... found CRT display
radeonfb: Monitor 1 type CRT found
radeonfb: EDID probed
Display Information (EDID)
EDID Version 1.3
Manufacturer: MED Model: 4720 Serial#: 0
Year: 2001 Week 44
Display Characteristics:
Analog Display Input: Input Voltage - 0.700V/0.300V
Sync: Serration on
Max H-size in cm: 34
Max V-size in cm: 27
Gamma: 2.20
DPMS: Active yes, Suspend yes, Standby yes
RGB Color Display
Chromaticity: RedX: 0.625 RedY: 0.340
GreenX: 0.280 GreenY: 0.595
BlueX: 0.155 BlueY: 0.070
WhiteX: 0.281 WhiteY: 0.311
Default color format is primary
First DETAILED Timing is preferred
Display is GTF capable
Standard Timings
1280x1024@60Hz
Supported VESA Modes
720x400@70Hz
640x480@60Hz
640x480@67Hz
640x480@72Hz
640x480@75Hz
800x600@56Hz
800x600@60Hz
800x600@72Hz
800x600@75Hz
832x624@75Hz
1024x768@60Hz
1024x768@70Hz
1024x768@75Hz
1280x1024@75Hz
1152x870@75Hz
Manufacturer's mask: 0
Detailed Monitor Information
135 MHz 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync

Serial No : 0
Monitor Name : MD 9463 AE
HorizSync : 24-80 KHz
VertRefresh : 56-75 Hz
Max Pixelclock: 130 MHz
radeonfb: Monitor 2 type no found
radeonfb: ATI Radeon Yd DDR SGRAM 128 MB
radeonfb_pci_register END
bound device '0000:01:00.0' to driver 'radeonfb'

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

and then

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

hStart = 664, hEnd = 760, hTotal = 800
vStart = 491, vEnd = 493, vTotal = 525
h_total_disp = 0x4f0063 hsync_strt_wid = 0x8c02a2
v_total_disp = 0x1df020c vsync_strt_wid = 0x8201ea
pixclock = 39721
freq = 2517
post div = 0x8
fb_div = 0x59
ppll_div_3 = 0x30059
lvds_gen_cntl: 08000008
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

Then, when changing to 1280x1024, with command

/usr/sbin/fbset -depth 32 1280x1024-60

the actual console changes correctly, but when switching to other VCs,
the monitor again complains saying it gets bad frequencies: 103.1 kHz
horizontal and 197.8 Hz vertical.

If I blindly login, and run the appropriate fbset command, the
terminal works OK. I made this small script:

#!/bin/sh
stty cols 160 rows 64
/usr/sbin/fbset -depth 32 1280x1024-60
consolechars -m iso15 -f iso15graf-16

and gave it a very short name. This way, once the terminal is set, I
can see what I type. I still have to logout and login again because
bash does not change its idea of the number of columns with
stty... So, quite uncomfortable but working ok.

Obviously, if I were able to set the default mode to 1280x1024, things
would be sunny.
video=radeonfb:1280x1024-32@60
and
video=radeonfb:mode:1280x1024-32@60
seems not to produce any visible effect. What is the current proper
way to initialize radeonfb from LILO?

And on a similar topic, could you write a couple of examples about how
to use the parameters included in radeon_base.c? I am thinking
especially of the "mirror" and "monitor_layout" parameters, that I
believe would allow me to use the two or three video outputs of the
card independently. I currently read

0 ATI Radeon Yd

in /proc/fb. I should read two or three lines there, I believe...

Carlo

--
* Se la Strada e la sua Virtu' non fossero state messe da parte,
* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@xxxxxxxxx che bisogno ci sarebbe