[2.6.0-test3,6,7] IDE 'enhanced mode' problems

From: Jurgen Kramer
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 06:02:30 EST

Hi,

I have various systems running 2.6.0-test kernels without problems so I
thought lets try 2.6.0-test7 on my main system again...I had run test3
without problems on this system but now all of a sudden it could not
boot 2.6.0-test3/6/7 normally. It would never pass through init
completely. It just stalled.

The only thing I changed since the last time I ran 2.6.0 successfully
was that I removed the SATA drive (I am running this on a Asus P4C800).
In the BIOS the IDE settings where still set to 'Enhanced mode'. The 2.4
kernel series doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I can't boot 2.6.0
with this setting on.

After changing the mode back to 'Compatible' I can run 2.6.0 properly
again.

Is this a bug in the IDE ICH5 code?

Cheers,

Jurgen