Re: Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 18:21:55 EST

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

On Wed, 2003-10-15 23:08:39 +1000, Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <3F8D46D7.1020105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

On Tue, 2003-10-14 18:33:49 +0100, John Bradford <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <200310141733.h9EHXnYg002262@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Achtually, with HZ at around 100 (or oven 70..80), an old i386 or i486
will *start* just fine, at least at 8MB. However, over some days /
weeks, the machine gets slower and slower (my testdrive: my 90MHz
P-Classic with 16MB). Even with that "much" RAM, I get hit by whatever
slows down the machine. I *think* that it's the MM subsystem, but I'm
really not skilled enough with it to blame it:)

Thats interesting. Its probably a memory leak I guess. Make sure to rule out
memory leaks in userspace applications, then get /proc/meminfo, /proc/slabinfo
on the box after it is getting slow, and also, after the box is newly booted.

Well, the box is still fine useable, but it's only rebooted some days
ago. However, I see size-64 (non-DMA) is going sloooowly up... What do I
do with the box? minicom (it's kind of a console server:), NATting, IPv6
gw. No X11, normally no local access at all.

On my Athlon (dual), I've already reached 319780 allocations in size-64,
but it seems to be currently stable, though...

I do _not_ see a leak in he size-4k region.

Maybe you could try Manfred's recent patch (in this thread) to find out
what is kmallocing all that memory.