what features are still lacking as compare with other UN*Xs and crash course for kernel hacking

From: Umair siddiqui
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 18:44:30 EST

Sir,

Most respectfully I beg to state that for starting
kernel hacking and research,
I require your help regarding GNU/Linux System.

*(Detailed) Info regarding, changes between various
kernel version since 1st "Official
Release" till now? and/or a time-line describing
these changes?

*What are features of Linux 2.6?

*What are the plans for future versions of the Linux?
Or what essential features
(I'm not an advocate of "creeping featurism") still
lacking in kernel
(specially comparing with other UN*Xs)?

*Suggesions regarding crash course on kernel hacking
and System Programming?