RE: Blockbusting news, this is important (Re: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?)

From: Maciej Zenczykowski
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 13:21:51 EST

> To pay for itself it would have to cost multiple millions of dollars. The
> #1 constraint in an IDE drive is cost per gigabyte, since 99.9% of
> purchasers don't look at anything else. This means that we strip down
> things like our electronics and internal mask ROMs to their minimum required
> size. Specialized code with extra features would inherently be larger,
> which gives two choices:

Would a single command to read a sector ignoring drive remaps really be
that hard/expensive/large in size to implement? I'd expect this would
easily fit in the spare room at the end of the ROM - the function is
pretty much (no doubt) already implemented - it just lacks an external
interface.

I think this is all we really need - sure more would be nice, but this
would suffice for those who say remaps without reading in the data
correctly first are bad.

Cheers,
MaZe.