re: swsusp in test8 fails with intel-agp and i830

From: John Mock
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 17:19:50 EST

> I am not sure which of the two modules causes the problem, I can only load
> them both. Unfortunately, without those modules the vaio laptop can only give
> 640x480, so this is not much of a workaround...

With vesafb, you should be able to get any resultion you want at
60Hz. Which is okay, because you have LCD.

Not necessarily, at least not on a VAIO R505EL This is due to the well-
known (to some X hackers at least) 'stolen memory' problem. Yes, you can
have 1024x768x8 with 'vesafb' (0x305), but if i use 'vga=ask', then i
can't get it to accept anything of the form 0x31x (e.g., nothing more
than 256 colors). And netscape/mozilla grabs everything in sight, so if
you want a color that 'netscape' doesn't use after 'netscape' has been
started, you're out of luck.

drivers/char/drm/i830_drv driver is apparently using DMA _and_ has no
suspend/resume support. That looks dangerous to me, perhaps you'll
need to implement those, too.

Yeah, i looked at that driver and couldn't figure out how it was supposed
to hand suspend/resume, but didn't have anything to compare it with. So
thank you for remark, as i was wondering if that were the case. Basically
what i think it comes to is that whatever initialization that X does to
a display when it starts up needs to be done again after software suspend.
Given that i doubt X knows anything about software suspend, the underlying
kernel code is going to have to remember whatever X wanted and repeat that.

I did look very briefly at 'drivers/video/i810/' (i810/i815 framebuffer
driver), but no free lunch there. Someone who knows just how the i830m
differs might have a chance at that, but that's too much work for me
to think about right now (e.g. i've got too much else to learn right
now).

So i think your workaround is to use VESA (XF86Config-4 available upon
request), probably only 256 colors, until this problem can be resolved
with the DRM driver.
-- JM

P.S. Uh, do any of the DRM drivers work properly with software suspend
on other machines?