Re: [2.6 patch] add a config option for -Os compilation

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 09:18:54 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 07:10:22PM +0200, Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:

Martin J. Bligh wrote:
If you have a puny 128K L2 cache, it might help,

Martin was ironically talking about people who are ignorant of machines
with _huge_ caches.

Oh. Sorry. Probably I need to work on my English bit more.

I the context of this thread he wanted to vote for making -Os conditionally and not unconditionally enabled by telling that he knows of situations where -O2 produces faster code.

Absolutely.
High-end toys, after all, optimized to handle this.

IMHO this should be settled on per-target basis: embedded system - -Os; servers - -O2; desktops - -O3 ;) So instead of CONFIG_EMBEDDED better to have CONFIG_TARGET=[desktop|server|embedded].

Inroducing one more variable into builds - is really painful. I was hit by gcc miscompiles and internal errors not once (especially with -O[23]). Tracking down this kind of issues would be made more problematic.

P.S. I'm really sorry for my rude response.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.