Re: Where's the bzip2 compressed linux-kernel patch?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 23:55:01 EST

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:28:37 +0200, Willy Tarreau said:

> I don't know how the tests above were done. But what I know for sure is that
> there are excessive open source zealots who would only download the OSS
> version of UPX which uses the UCL library while the closed source version
> uses the NRV one which is a jewel.

Well.. unfortunately, a closed-source UPX has as much chance of making it into
the mainstream kernel as the NVidia graphics drivers. Both will have to remain
things that are self-inflicted by end users.

> > And no, gzip -9 does not add anything to decompression time, only
> > compression time.
>
> Where did you get this interesting idea ? every decompressor needs
> decompression time.

I think he meant that decompressing a 'gzip -1' and a 'gzip -9' go at basically
the same Mbytes/second - the big CPU hit is at compression time.